Saturday, June 6, 2015

A brief pause in the story for some introspection.

I often read fantasy stories where the author creates new systems of time, weight, money, religion, days, months and all the other things that exist in a fantasy world. I understand why some chose to do that. A unique world would have these differences.
I am creating religions and societies for this story. I will eventually have to create days and months. It is not like I can use the Julian calendar after all.
But for all the other mundane things, I am using the Imperial and US customary measurement system.
Why? Because: 1) You will easily understand it. 2) I don't have to explain the new system. And 3) I am lazy. So there.

I also want to warn you that while this is a fantasy story, I am breaking away from some of the Tolkien inspired High Fantasy norms.

1) There are NO HALF HUMANS in this world. The different races cannot interbreed. While we call them different races in the story, they are actually different SPECIES.
2) Out of all the races, only the minotaur resemble the creature from myth.

  • Elves are more catlike.
  • Orcs are more like a razorback boar.
  • Ogres have large curving horns like a bighorn sheep with a head and facial features to match.
  • Trolls are armor plated like a rhino but with reptilian eyes and ears.
  • Dwarves have beards, but not the big, bushy ones typically found in fantasy. They also have a fine layer of fur all over their bodies. The have lived underground so long that they have lost much of their coloration, almost like troglobites.

No comments:

Post a Comment